Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Weekend Warriors

Hello All,

Our softball team just came back from a weekend in Raleigh , North Carolina and we went 3-1 in the Triangle Classic. It was nice to be able to play in 4 games and see where we are and what we need to work on in game situations.

We left school on Thursday evening and the girls seemed very excited knowing they were getting the chance to play some games. We have been practicing for a while now. On the ride down, we put in a couple of movies, never really watching them through, until the usual Big Bang Theory got put in. I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of that tv show but I am now. I actually caught myself watching it this fall in the comfort of my own home. However, it is not just the show but the thought of softball as well because now whenever I hear Big Bank Theory, I will think about softball.

We get to Raleigh at the hotel and they had about 2 hours to settle down and then their life fell apart. I took their cell phones and lights had to be out at a certain time. I do that for the reason that I want them to get a good night sleep, have no distractions like breaking up with someone, etc. and to be focused in the morning for the game. I know this day and age we are all about technology. I have to admit I was very proud of the ladies. They showed the next day that they can be focused and they can work hard for something. That's why they walked away with 2 wins on Friday. What a gorgeous day it was as well-we couldn't have asked for a better day!

Later that evening we went to a mall and then to a buffet restaurant. I have to say at first I was worried about the girls eating. You know buffet is all you can eat. That is scary sometimes when you bring in a team of 21 people. Although, the players weren't who I was worried about. It was one of my assistant coaches. I believe she was born with a bread roll in her hand. I was worried we were going to have an intervention for her. Anyway, the team was very mannerly, polite, and having a good time. We proceeded on back to the hotel.

Next day, we took a win and a loss. Remember me saying that we had a gorgeous day previously, well not so much on this day. It was cold and windy. Of course, both teams had to play in it and we adjust first game and won but the second we didn't. As coaches, we got to see some people play in the field that we wanted to, some got to hit that we wanted to see, and all in all it was a great weekend. Every one did what we asked of them. As I was sitting on the bus on the ride home, I thought, this team is special and good things are going to happen if they keep believing in themselves, in each other, and do the little things that we ask of them each and every day. It is the little things that let the big things happen. We have started off well but we have to remember, it's a journey and it's not where we are early but where are we going to be later.

Until next time. . . . GO SQUIRRELS!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment